No Win No Fee
Request a
Free Call Back

Sueing the Council

Modes of public transport, markets and other public places do to come under the responsibility of any private individual and thus, the government entity responsible for its maintenance is held liable if a citizen gets injured in any of these places. Like in other kinds of accidents such as car accidents, personal injury or work related accidents, you also have the right of sueing the council responsible for your injury in case you have been injured at a public place. Some of the accidents occurring at public places may prove to be fatal for the injured person and even render him or her permanently disabled for the rest of his or her life. Therefore, it is your duty to safeguard your rights and save other people from a similar type of accident that occurred to you.

Most common type of accidents taking place in public places is the pedestrian accidents. These usually occur because of uneven pavements, poorly built roads, non-operational traffic signals and faded road signs. You have to find the council or government entity who is responsible for maintaining all these factors and file a claim against the council so that no other person meets a similar accidents which you have just escaped.

If you are considering about sueing the council, then the first thing you have to do is to find out the council who is responsible for the maintenance of the cause of your injury. After that, you have to contact a professional, qualified and experienced lawyer who specialises in dealing with these types of cases only. In order to support your claim, you can take some photographs of the factor that led to your injury and also try to collect as many evidences, proofs and eye witnesses as possible.

The compensation amount that you are entitled to get largely depends upon the extent of your injuries, the time that has elapsed after the accident and the proofs and evidences you can produce in support of your claim. The judiciary will also research whether you were at fault or not during the time of the accident and if you are found absolutely fault-less, then the compensation amount that you get may be quite satisfactory. It may include the medical expenses you had to make on your treatment, the loss of wages for the time you were not able to attend your job, the physical and mental suffering you had to undergo and also a compensation for the negligence of the council.

Mrs B was crossing a pedestrian crossing pushing her grandson in a baby buggy when she was knocked to the ground by a car driven by the defendant. The accident caused a complex fracture to her right foot.   Liability was denied as both parties claimed the lights were in their favour. At trial Cooks were successful in proving Mrs B’s case and she was awarded £90,000.00.
"I would like to thank you and all your staff for your courtesy and professionalism in what has been a very distressing time for us all..."
Mrs B from London

See how much your claim could be worth.

Examples of Compensation Awards for Injury Claims*
Serious Back Injury
Wrist Injury
Serious Neck Injury
Serious Hand Injury
Ankle Injury
Serious Knee Injury
Serious Head Injury

*damages for loss of earnings and other losses and expenses are commonly paid in addition to the injury award and will vary in each case