Request a
Free Call Back


Work Accident Claims
Posted at 11:09 by Tim Cook Cooks Legal Ltd
Workplace accidents do occur and if you have been injured through no fault of your own then it is worth investigating whether you are entitled to compensation for loss of earnings, pain, suffering or any other harm.
In 2010, 1.3 million people who worked throughout the year in Great Britain were suffering from an illness believed to have been caused or exacerbated by their work. 152 workers were killed at work during 2010, equating to a rate of 0.5 per 100 000 workers.* Some of the most commonly cited workplace hazards involved in accidents, injury and illness were manual handling, sitting for long periods of time and the handling of hazardous substances. Workplace accidents are commonplace and if you have been involved in an accident at work through no fault of your own then you may be entitled to make a compensation claim for lost earnings, your pain and suffering or other resulting losses experienced.  This is referred to as a personal injury clam and in simple terms refers to an accident which occurs when a third party is responsible for the harm suffered, whether through failure to take reasonable preventative steps or by negligence in another way.  Employers have a duty of care for employees and must keep you informed of any health and safety issues that affect you. As well as being responsible for activities carried out in the workplace, employers also have a legal obligation to report certain accidents and incidents and to pay you sick pay if you are entitled to it.  An accident at work may have occurred as a result of incorrect training or faulty equipment but regardless of the reason, it is worth investigating whether you are entitled to compensation as this can help you to get your life back on track after an injury or illness.  If you think you might be entitled to make a claim for compensation, the first step to take is contacting a personal injury lawyer. There are certain stipulations surrounding personal injury claims and a qualified solicitor will be able to advise you fully of these.  Firstly, there is a limitation period that claims can be made within, meaning you must file for compensation within three years of the accident date. Secondly, there are two elements to compensation awards made in personal injury claims. The first is called general damage and covers the pain and suffering you may have experienced along with any loss of amenity, for example not being able to take your children to school.  The second element is called special damages, the aim of which is to put you back in a financial position similar to if the accident had not occurred. This may include an amount for loss of earnings and costs of any required treatments, so it is therefore vital to keep any related receipts so full amounts can be reclaimed.  The best place to start if you’re thinking of making an accident claim is by contacting a solicitor and progressing from there.  *Source: 

Back to Blog

Have your say
Blog Archive

See how much your claim could be worth.

Examples of Compensation Awards for Injury Claims*
Serious Back Injury
Wrist Injury
Serious Neck Injury
Serious Hand Injury
Ankle Injury
Serious Knee Injury
Serious Head Injury

*damages for loss of earnings and other losses and expenses are commonly paid in addition to the injury award and will vary in each case